Kevin R. Crisp, Senior Counsel
Attorney Kevin R. Crisp joined Lester, Cantrell & Kraus, LLP after 38 years at Los Angeles-based Haight, Brown & Bonesteel. For many of those years he worked with Lester, Cantrell & Kraus, LLP founding partner Mark Lester. Kevin started at Haight as a law student clerk.
Though firm founder Fulton “Bill” Haight was reluctant to hire Kevin due to his professed lack of interest in sports, Kevin made equity partner faster than any young lawyer in the firm’s 80-year history. Prior to the modern trend of case resolution through mediation, the Los Angeles Superior Court referred cases for non-binding adversarial arbitrations. Kevin prevailed in his last 28 of those. More recently, he won consecutive trials for four different firm practice groups.
Positions held at Haight included Litigation Department Chair, Practice Group Leader (Products Liability and Tort), and Hiring Partner.
For the first fifteen years of his practice, Kevin concentrated on the defense of products liability and negligence cases in State and Federal courts. He has particular expertise in matters involving automatic doors and gates, fire suppression systems and alarms, fires and explosions, premises security and criminal attacks, pneumatic nailers, subrogation actions, electrical corded and cordless power tools, and a wide variety of industrial accidents. Kevin R. Crisp also advises clients concerning the handling of Proposition 65 claims.
Pleased with their results, personal injury and products liability clients asked Kevin to handle their commercial litigation. This now makes up approximately half of his practice.
Kevin’s hobbies and interests include large format landscape photography, sailing, fishing, acoustic and electrical guitar and bass, automobile restoration and repair, antique radio restoration and repair, desert exploration, hiking and archery.
- California State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Loyola University School of Law (Los Angeles) (JD, 1981)
- Whitman College (Walla Walla, WA) (BA, 1977)
Honors and Awards
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute
- Plaintiff’s Judgment – Return of JFK Jr.’s college files to Brown University
- Summary Judgment Upheld by Court of Appeal – Alleged in vitro toxic exposure at a foundry and plating facility
- Defense Verdict – Dangerous Condition of Rural Orchard
- Non-Suit x3 – Allegedly Defective Safety Glasses
- Summary Adjudication and Settlement of Admitted Breach of Contract
- Defense Verdict – Breach of Agreement to Commercialize Internet-Enabled Product
- Summary Judgment on Disputed Product ID
- Defense of Automatic Door Manufacturer
- Defense of Framing Hammer Manufacturer
- Breach of Written and Oral Employment Contracts
- Breach of Contract for Massive Failure of Warehouse Sprinkler System
Publications and Presentations
March 17, 2017
“Have We Learned Anything in 64 Years,” Panel Discussion – DRI Products Liability Conference, New Orleans
April 11, 2012
Navigating the CPSC; From Initial Inquiry to Rulemaking – DRI Products Liability Conference, Las Vegas
May 5, 2010
Featured speaker on express indemnity for the Golden Gate chapter of the CPCU
Areas of Practice
- Products liability and personal injury 50% 50%
- Commercial litigation 50% 50%